Stunning, brilliant and magical. Three words to describe New York Fashion Week 2017. Featured designers put blood, sweat and tears (maybe literally) into their productions and they could not have been more extravagent. From the launch of Gemy Maalouf’s collection to Vivienne Tam, Vivienne Hu, Leanne Marshall & Nicole Miller, we witnessed true talent first hand and learned of trends arriving in Fall 2017. We have to admit, we can NOT wait!
This collection captured more of the “Nonchalant Tomboy” trend vibing throughout fashion week. Our favorite looks include a clean, minimalist line and we sure can’t forget about the layers! Lots and lots of layers; pure brilliance.
Nicole Miller The designer channeled her inner NYC grunge for this collection and we loved it! Skulls, leather and chains were frequently seen on the runway with dark eye makeup and a bright red lip. Again, we can’t forget about those layering pieces!
Vivienne Tam While Nicole Miller channeled her inner NYC grunge, Vivienne went with a Hong Kong nightlife scene for her inspiration. The vibe of the show was everything, upbeat and fierce with a feministic touch. From bold patterns to bombers and sequence, the collection captured every bit of the urban culture. Check out those prints!
Gemy Maalouf This collection screams romance! Gemy mastered the evening gown aesthetic for her fashion week launch party. Structured tailored peices, lace detail and ruffles made up this perfectly elegant group. Did we mention it was at the Bowery Hotel?
Leanne Marshall gave her collection the feminist touch with monochromatic looks, varying necklines, soft silk and textured lace. The models sported neutral makeup, updos, red lips and a gorgeous statemenet earring.
1. 7 For All Mankind “The Skinny” Jeans: “I love the skinny jeans at Ellie. They have different fits and different shades, and they’re super comfortable.”
2. Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment: “If you want the lip balm you’ve ever had, I’d definitely recommend Sugar lip treatment from Fresh. They have a ton of different flavors at Houppette and they leave your lips feeling luscious and moisturized.”
3. Ella Moss Jadeynn Top: “This lace top from Ellie is fun and flirty, and super lightweight. It’s perfect for Valentine’s Day, or any day after in the Spring because it’s so bright.”
4. My Not So Perfect Life Book: “Sophie Kinsella is one of my favorite authors. She writes very entertaining romantic comedies which is perfect for this month! I’m excited to read her new book.”
5. SkinCeuticals Neck, Chest, And Hand Repair: “In this dry winter weather, my hands get so cracked. I need to stay moisturized and SkinCeuticals works wonders. They have this product and so many others at Houppette.”
6. Kate Spade Glitter Heart Key Fob: “Kate Spade has cute, and quality-made accessories. I love the bling in this key fob and it will go perfectly with Valentine’s Day.”
7. Unisa Adivan Over The Knee Boot: “The over-the-knee boot trend is very hot right now. They’re stylish and make your legs look a mile high. I can’t wait to get my hands on a pair.”
8. Dean Davidson Faux Leather Leaf Choker: “Chokers are the “it” trend right now. I love this one because it’s simple and elegant at the same time.”
9. Kevyn Aucoin’s The Celestial Bronzer: “Houppette carries this bronzer and it’s perfect for this time of year to make yourself look less ghostly.”
10. Gorjana Power Gemstones Bracelet: “I’m always looking for new jewelry and No.109 has some really cute bracelets in stock. Their Gorjana bracelets come in several different colors and they’re perfect for stacking.”
Boss Lady is a series that shares personal insights from creative women in business.This week we chat with Maja Arnold, founder and designer of the gorgeous custom Maja Arnold jewelry. Maja shares her passion for typography, wearable symbols, and working with incredible people with inspiring stores.
1. First, tell us a little about yourself and your business. You have a background in typography, how do you incorporate that into your jewelry designs?
Typography has transformed my artistic expression and I want to help it transform yours. For many ears I travelled through Europe for the fashion industry, but when I experienced the inspiration and peace in the beauty of wearable symbols, it was transformative. My name is Maja Arnold, I’m the founder of Maja Arnold Design. Our mission is designing jewelry that creates memories and illuminates your soul! The artistic expression seen in typography as I have expressed it in wearable symbols came at first in the painful loss of one of my children and later in my son’s battle with cancer. I have a passion for typography and I want to bring this passion to you. The ease of the style and unpretentious, natural connection to memories and their inevitable feelings has always fascinated me. Each individual design based on the touchstone letters that are meaningful to you allowing anyone to keep you loved ones close to you hearts. This is also, if not especially true for meaningful and powerful events you have experienced throughout your life. As a prime examples, I design contemporary symbols comprised of the most meaningful works or initials, for each person, often of up to six letters, resulting in a piece of set of items completely original and unique. Each piece represents a personal, deeply touching story and transforms into wearable fashion of the high quality to be cherished for a lifetime. Made in Seattle, Maja Arnold Design necklaces are hand sketched, digitally rendered, wax molded and cast in pure silver or gold. Our design have been featured in Seattle Bride Magazine, Seattle Magazine, The Points Living, Vanguard Magazine, idazzle, Reflection Magazine and TV NY New Day Show. Currently at the Elements Gallery in Hotel Hyatt and on Display in Bellevue Square Mall.
2. Where do you see Maja Arnold in 5 -10 years?
My business is based on a very personal and meaningful story. The result is a creation of one of a kind jewelry that inspires and its meaningful in a very modern and artistic way. I would love to spread my story to as many people as I can over the next 5 years. Ultimate goal is to inspire people that will wear a Maja Arnold design creation. I created a column on my web site just for Inspiring stories.
I would love to share as many of these stories as I can to help others find their own story and possibly help them through difficult situations and times in their lives.
3. When it comes to building your brand and starting your company, what’s an important lesson each of you have learned?
The lesson of building your own company is being patient and believing in yourself.
4. Do I have a favorite design?
All of my designs have their own story. I love them all. Because so much of what I do is custom it is very hard to have a favorite.
5.What has been the best moment in your career?
The best moment in my career was (and still is) when my clients receive one of my designs and cry or tell me how much it means to them, and why. It is truly an amazing feeling.
6. If you could be any BossLady for day, who would you pick and why?
If I can be any Boss Lady for a day…. I would be Lori Greiner. She is a self-made inventor who helps so many people to be discovered with their new patents and new products. She gives people HOPE every day.:)
7. Do you have a dream client you would love to work with and if so, who and why?
What dream client would I want to work with and why? hmm. There is so many! My dream client is a client with an inspiring story:) I meet people these type of people on regular basis and I admire them so much by what they tell me that I cannot wait to design them their piece.
8. For all the young entrepreneurs out there, what advice would you give them?
For young entrepreneurs I would give them advice to “Never give up on your dream”, you can achieve anything you set your mind to.