Creative ruts are the worst and sometimes they can seem impossible to get out of. If you’re in an industry where creativity rules supreme then you know what we’re talking about. For those who can’t relate, know that it restricts productivity, which is not ideal when you’re making a name for yourself while building your business. Whether your creative rut is related to work or not, we wanted to put forth our top 5 ways to get your groove back:
1. Meet with peers. Getting together with friends in your industry is a great opportunity to bounce ideas off one another. There’s also the added benefit to hear how others overcame any problems you might currently be experiencing. It’s amazing how these conversations will spark curiosity, build your confidence and strengthen your spirit.
2. Create some space for your thoughts. This can involve anything from taking a walk to looking out the window to playing with your dog. In other words, it simply means to do something else other than stewing in your dry spell.
3. Establish order around you. By cleaning your workspace, desk or changing some decor around, you can get out of the rut. There’s something about nesting that lets your mind to wander for a bit. Once order has been established a sense of motivation almost always kicks in.
4. Make time to explore. It’s important to carve out time in your routine to do or try something new. For instance, look at other people’s work or portfolios in or close to your field. Trying something new or seeing new things will push your boundaries and enhance your abilities to think about things with a new perspective.
5. Embrace failures. Even successful people have failures. They learn from them and move on quickly. Holding on to mistakes only weighs your thoughts and feelings down while limiting new ones from forming. Plus, if you’re not making mistakes then you’re not trying!