Our client, Houppette, recently announced plans to close their Kennett Square, PA location in order to make their new Greenville, DE location larger and offer more services. We spoke to the owners, Cristi Miller and Elizabeth Johnson, about the big news.
1. So the bad news is that Kennett Square residents will now have to come to Greenville to shop (tax-free!), but the good news is that Houppette is going to be bigger AND better than ever! What is the goal/vision for the new expanded concept store?
Our goal at Houppette is always to provide our customers with the very best service, selection, and overall experience possible. Our vision is for an elevated Houppette concept. Having been in business for 17 years, it’s time to reinvent and modernize our concept and the shopping experience for our customers. There are exciting new trends in the beauty industry that we are excited to showcase in our new store–more details to come closer to our opening!
2. It’s great that the two of you will be back to working under the same roof! How do you work together?
We feel that we have an extraordinary working relationship, and we’re very fortunate to have each other. We collaborate very well, and always respect one another’s opinions. We really don’t struggle balancing business and friendship; we have an unconditional mutual respect for one another at the heart of our personal and business relationship. Likewise, our strengths and weaknesses compliment one another nicely. We both wear so many hats, and seem to always find a balance. Where one of us falls short, the other one picks up, and where and when that happens can even depend on the day.
3. In our opinion, online shopping will never compare to the fun of physically going into a store, not to mention the importance of supporting small, local businesses. How do you keep up with the digital shopping space?
Thank you so much for the shout out for small business! As we have seen with many brick and mortar stores closing, competing with online is a big challenge. Meeting that challenge is part of our strategy in growing our store and concept. We know that there are very fundamental and important aspects to a shopping experience that you cannot get online. We strive to offer our customers a friendly face, honest, personalized product recommendations based on our knowledge of the products and the customer. We’re so fortunate to have so many customers who love to come into Houppette and say that it’s their “happy place”. We love hearing that and will keep offering that feel-good, fun beauty experience to everyone who comes to our store.
4. One of our favorite things about shopping in the Greenville store is the intimacy of the small space. Will the new expanded location have that same feel?
Although customers complimented us on how beautiful the Kennett Square store was, we heard more often that they preferred the cozy, intimate feel of the Greenville location. We take our customer feedback very seriously, and plan to keep that intimate atmosphere in the new space in Greenville.
5. You both do such a great job of making women feel beautiful and confident. At the end of the day, what does beauty mean to you?
Helping women feel beautiful and confident is the most important part of what we do, and it is what we love most about every day. True beauty absolutely comes from within, and nothing can compare to a happy, confident smile, genuinely feeling good in your own skin, and enjoying your life and loved ones. That’s truly what it’s all about at the end of the day.
Houppette is a luxury cosmetics, makeup, and accessory boutique known for their high-end product assortment and extraordinary customer service. For more information, you can follow them on Facebook and Instagram.